Hello, my name is Taryn

• 20 December 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello everyone, my name is Taryn! I’m a 21-year-old undergraduate student and my pronouns are she/her/hers. I was born and raised on the east coast of the United States, about 3 hours from the capital of Washington, D.C. I love collecting postcards, reading short literary fiction stories, and bullet journaling.

Growing up with a migrant mother, I have always been interested in displacement and knew I wanted to devote my academic studies to this area. Naturally, I became acquainted with statelessness through my work and quickly realized how understudied it was across the world-- especially in the United States.

I wanted to learn more about statelessness and how I could assist stateless persons here in the US. At the end of 2020, I connected with United Stateless and joined the organization as an intern and volunteer. Working with United Stateless has been one of the greatest privileges of my life, and I am continuously humbled by our members’ lived experiences and advocacy work.

I joined Statefree because I am interested in connecting with other allies and stateless folks from across the globe. Statelessness is an issue that impacts us all (citizens and non-citizens alike) and I believe that this community can serve as a forum for us to discuss our initiatives, our progress, and our hopes for a more inclusive world.

I’m so happy to be apart of the Statefree community and look forward to connecting with you all!

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge

Dear Taryn, welcome to the community and thank you for sharing more about yourself and your work. United Stateless does such important work, it’s a big inspiration for us! We’re looking forward to connecting more and sharing strategies :)