Skip to main content

Subject: Seeking Legal Advice and Insight on Voluntary Statelessness – A Call for a Borderless World

Dear Statefree Community,

I come to you as an ally, someone who has benefitted from the privileges of the current system, but has come to deeply question its foundations. As a white, privileged German, I recognize the immense injustices, hierarchies, and exclusions created by the nation-state system. While citizenship has provided me with rights and opportunities, it has also reinforced a world divided by borders and bureaucratic structures that limit our freedom as human beings.

I believe in the possibility of a borderless world—a world where people are not defined by arbitrary lines on a map, where identity isn't tied to the possession of documents that bind us to a state. For this vision to become a reality, those of us with privilege must be willing to take action. I have decided to voluntarily renounce my German citizenship, not to claim another, but to become stateless in the truest sense. This is an idealistic choice, but one I believe is necessary if we are to dismantle the constructs that divide us.

However, I have encountered a significant obstacle. German citizenship law, like that of many other nations, does not provide a legal route to simply become stateless. Instead, the system requires that one take on the citizenship of another state. This legal structure only reinforces the very system I seek to challenge. For this reason, I am preparing to sue the German government, demanding the right to exist outside of any state structure—truly stateless, not bound to borders, nor complicit in their existence.

I am reaching out to this community for insight into the daily challenges faced by those who are already stateless, as well as advice on how best to navigate the legal terrain. What practical hurdles do I need to be prepared for, and how might we collectively work toward creating a legitimate legal pathway for statelessness by choice?

I fully recognize that my approach may seem the complete opposite of what many in this community are fighting for—where the goal is often to gain the rights and protections of citizenship, not to renounce them. Many of you are striving for the very privileges I am choosing to give up, and I do not wish to diminish or disregard that struggle. I understand that for those who have been rendered stateless involuntarily, the fight for citizenship represents a path toward security, dignity, and recognition. My choice is born from a place of privilege, and I am acutely aware that it contrasts sharply with the immediate needs of those who seek the very rights I am looking to shed. Nonetheless, I hope that by working together, we can share perspectives and explore the deeper flaws of the systemwhether one seeks to exit it or gain inclusion within it.

I would also greatly appreciate any legal advice or experiences that could assist me in this journey—whether from those who have undergone similar struggles, or from those familiar with the legal nuances of citizenship and statelessness. Please refer me to potential lawyers or organizations, that might be interested in setting a precedent.

While I understand the immense privilege I bring to this conversation, I believe that privilege must be leveraged to challenge the immoralities of the current system. If more of us—those with the means and resources to navigate these challenges—would voluntarily reject the nation-state framework, I believe it could spark a movement toward a truly borderless, equitable world.

Thank you for allowing me to join this space. I look forward to engaging with you all, learning from your experiences, and discussing how we might work together toward the world we wish to see.

In solidarity,

Oskar

This was NOT an april fools joke!

Be the first to reply!