Question

Statelessness in America

• 19 February 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I was born in the Netherlands, I left when I was two years-old to America, I didn't realize I was stateless until I was in my early 20s. I'm 36 now. I've tried reaching out for help from the Dutch embassy received no help from them. I've tried to get help from immigration lawyers but they were clueless about statelessness and just wasted my time and alot of money for nothing. I've also reached out to UNHCR and they have told me they are working on ending statelessness but it's been years and it looks like there will never be any  progress. I was part of the first stateless grassroots organization in America called United Stateless, They have accomplished some great things and helped raise awareness on statelessness in America. But, I  haven't spoken to them in a long time. I think working together with other stateless organizations would be a great benefit for both. It's going to take alot of work to end statelessness. 

For me, It's just been extremely difficult. There is no real help out there for me, Since I cannot afford an immigration lawyer and even if I could, They probably wouldn't be much of a help, Just like the others I've dealt with in the past. I cannot work or drive among many other things. I have no financial support I can apply for..That doesn't exist for stateless people and I think it should. I find it infuriating on how the migrants coming from the Mexican border have so much help and support from the government and other organizations..They are able to receive worker's permits, money for food and other necessities and free housing..While I, along with the other stateless people, Who have been here for many years, Are left in the dark with no help whatsoever. I don't like to discuss my circumstance, Because many people are very clueless and it just brings me more inner turmoil. Statelessness is a major human rights violation and I'm tired of governments dancing around the issue with false hope and promises, While so many suffer and live in fear. It should have been fixed a long time ago, It's beyond frustrating. 

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us and for sharing your story.

You are deffinetly right! Things have to change when is coms to that subject...We really have to work togehter.

We are ready to to change something!

Best wishes 

Victoria Bukalo & the team